Wednesday 15 September 2010

This morning I saw a young lady leave a folder on the top of the ticket kiosk at the station. I was some way off, but I saw her put it down, and I watched her walk off without it. She may have run back a few minutes later, once she had realised her mistake, but I don't think she did. I don't know why I didn't jog after her. By the time I had realised I had been an idiot, she had gone through the barriers and disappeared into the sea of commuters. I hope her day wasn't ruined by it though.

Anyway, about 15 minutes later, there I was, sat on the Bakerloo line, when on came an elderly lady. I dunno whether I was trying to make up for my earlier folly, but I offered her my seat. She was more than happy to acquiesce.

Some would say that was a 'good deed'. Others would think a life filled with such works would be good enough for Heaven. A nice fluffy cloud and a harp awaits the lucky person who's 'good' deeds outweigh the bad ones, at the end of play. Like it's all held in some kind of supernatural balance or something.

Afraid not chums. It doesn't work that way unfortunately. If it was down to good stuff like giving up a seat to an old woman or walking a blind bloke across the street, then that would suggest that we could earn our passage through those pearly gates.

There is nothing we can do to earn that. Nothing whatsoever. What accumulation of good deeds could possibly suppress a lifetime of sin and God-dodging?

We'd all be idiots if we thought an everyday, human effort could achieve this for us. Maybe you don't give a monkeys about Heaven of Hell. Or maybe you're desperately worried about the outcome of this all. But we all need to rest assured with the fact that Jesus paved the way. Pure and simple. Keep on giving generously and speaking positively about one another; but don't think it'll get you very far if it isn't done in Jesus' name and for His glory alone.



I hope someone ran after her to return the folder.