Monday 18 October 2010

Real men cry in church

I was speaking with a good friend last night. Earlier yesterday, I had seen him getting prayed for during our church meeting, with tears rolling down his face. A scene that I didn't want to leave without remarking on. He later commented that it was the first time he had cried for some time.

I was pretty clear with how I responded. I told him I was so glad to see him cry! It was so good to see it. Not because I'm some sick weirdo, but because I could see the Holy Spirit doing some serious work in his heart. He could have proudly stood there receiving some prayer, chest out, shoulders back, proud as anything. But that's not what Jesus wants. The world is completely filled with people who think they've got it all sussed. They walk seemingly filled with composure and self-assurance as the beautiful message of Jesus' gospel waits patiently for them to crack and realise it. But my friend didn't look like one of those people. He looked liked someone who had understood, and understood it pretty hard. Why else would a grown man stand in front of hundreds of people and cry his eyes out? Because the Holy Spirit was at work; remoulding him, sharpening him, and making him to be a little bit more like Jesus.

'Jesus wept.'

The shortest verse in the Bible. Don't be the kinda person who's too proud not to get broken by the work of Jesus. He was broken for it on our behalf. And He was the most bold and courageous of any man after all.