Wednesday 22 December 2010

Santa can't you see why you're the sideshow!?!?

Well, it would be a bit remiss of me to bang on about Jesus on here for six months and then say nada about Him at Christmas time, wouldn't it!?

It's so easy to get caught up in the hype. Without even realising it, I'm hooked on the food-drink-party-presentbuying-christmastreedecorating whirlwind that is 'Xmas', without even pausing to remember why it is that this is what it is in the first place! The West goes mad for it and London is no exception...in fact, it's probably in the thick of the knees up.

I'm sitting here, looking at the blinging Christmas tree, surrounded by presents with Santa Claus and Snowmen cards hanging everywhere. When did it develop into this? I mean, I am the biggest kid when it comes to Christmas time, but this is a far cry from the stable and wise men and all that stuff. Everyone knows the story of Jesus' birth; it has been drilled into our psyche by countless Nativity plays growing up. So much so, that the fully-booked Inn, manger-delivery and guiding star plot seems to have faded into the background for most people.

I think that Jesus probably would buy His family gifts. I think He would share a feast of a meal with His loved ones. I also think He'd probably enjoy the finest bottle of wine to help celebrate the occasion too (probably not mulled though!).

Whilst this whole extravagant celebration stems from extremely humble beginnings, I don't think it's wrong to go a little overboard with our eating and spending.

It's a King's birthday after all. Just remember that when you're stuffed and wearing your stupid paper crown at the dinner table.