Wednesday 13 April 2011

I read this verse in Luke 14 this morning. It's powerful and challenging:

'For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'

I keep reading passages, blogs and tweets all encouraging a Christian to finish the race well. I am very close to some guys who have fallen very early on, so this is something I am very aware of. I think I need to constantly be asking myself: what am I doing that is foolish!? And what should I be doing more of to help fan the flame and run harder for Jesus?

Later in Luke 14, in a different translation Jesus goes on to say: “Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can’t be my disciple.'

The cost is incredibly high. Much much higher than we could possibly imagine. I want to reach glory completely out of breath for running so hard, not drunkenly stumbling towards it smelling of Hell's smoke; I might not be let in. Desire a great last day on Earth for Jesus, not just an emphatic, smiley first-day-encounter.

It's easy to run hard for a few weeks. But that won't count for much in the end. Help build a tower not a childs sandcastle.