Sunday 31 July 2011

It would be quite easy to see why yesterday's wedding guests would be compelled away from church for a little while longer. The priest/reverend/insert 'title' here, almost stole the show from the outset. Cracking inappropriate gags and smoking/drinking/dancing his way through the proceedings, it was very hard to not look on with raised eyebrows. I guess you could look at it from two perspectives: either questioning his position/example individually or questioning my/our/his hypocrisy. 

If we say we have this gift of a message, surely the first sign or result of this should be a complete change in OUR attitudes and actions? If this 'message' isn't amazing enough to do this in our lives, people who are yet to believe in it will have very little desire for it themselves.

I'll refer back to this other bloke: think of the opportunity he had yesterday to preach his heart out; extol the virtues of a Christian marriage; or perhaps even just say a prayer over the couple without even laughing half way through. Such a missed opportunity in front of a largely unchurch-attending crowd. 

But then again, I look at the bloke seated next to me who I failed to engage in any meaningful conversation with whatsoever. An equally squandered encounter?!

I might not be a 'priest' but I have a responsibility too. Im not sure what's more displeasing to God: one man's inappropriateness or the raised eyebrows and tutting of the inactive onlooker?

'He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." (Mark 7 v6 NIV)