Friday 9 December 2011

I was chatting to someone lastnight, over a couple of cold ones. For the sake of things, let’s call this someone ‘Bob’.

Now, I was trying to explain to Bob that having been high as a kite and drunk as a skunk in the past, I can now say, hand on heart, that the thrill of living for Jesus far outweighs those kind of worldly pleasures. No doubt about it. To know that fullness of life and the adrenaline that comes from walking hand-in-hand with Jesus, far out does the biggest, messiest, gutter-ending weekend night that currently captivates his midweek daydreams.

I know they’re fun. I have had hundreds and hundreds of those nights out.

But to find purpose, discipline and joy each morning is WAY more exciting than the vomit, regret and emptiness that readdresses the balance after a ‘fun’ night out with the lads.

I dunno whether Bob will get it. But, as I told him last night – he could try and fill that longing with Jesus now – or in 20 years time; when the urge to overcome the hunger for God is still there. The Jesus-shaped hole in his heart could be filled with Jesus now, or later; but it wont be going anywhere until he does.

I’d give it a shot now, if I was in his shoes (excuse the pun)