Friday 16 December 2011

So meeting in a dirty old South-London pub, under the railway arches, is a far cry from the ‘upper room’ image described in Acts. But I love it even more I think. The festive, blustery, hustle and bustle of a post-work pub room in December was a cool backdrop to discuss our busy lives and future plans. As grumpy old employees tried to engage in some Christmas cheer, we stood in the thick of it – trying to encourage and challenge each other. There’s nowhere else I’d have rather been last night – and my brothers were incredibly generous to me.

As I said to someone recently, going it alone is absolutely impossible as a Christian. It’s fatal and stupid. If you are trying to do life on your own as a Christian, without the support, prayer and accountability of like-minded people, then stop everything and find some people who are willing to get alongside you – as a matter of urgency. If you haven’t already fallen way down a slippery slope, then it’s sure to happen imminently.

The Devil will have lied to you, and told you that it’s OK to carry on alone – but all he wants is to kill you, steal from you and generally destroy your life. Get people around you, who can help identify when these schemes are sneaking up behind you; or just spiritually blood-nosing you in broad daylight.

It scares me to think of one of God’s people trying to navigate separated from the pack. I would have been seriously screwed a long time ago if I'd been in that position for much longer than I was.