Friday 14 December 2012

When I was younger I used to quite like taking communion at church. My mouth would be so parched from all the beer and smoke from the night before, so the shot of fruity grape juice was always a welcome relief.

Last night I sat in the living room of some friends of ours - there were seven of us there in total. The first (and only) people who have yet to commit to join Everyday Church Southfields in about 100 or so days time.

We took communion together. The bread didn't taste like flesh and the grape juice didn't taste like blood, but it did help us to remember what the most successful of all pioneers and visionaries ever sacrificed and achieved.

Many, many centuries later, we're feeling the sense of adventure from the mission ahead. It 'aint gonna be easy; we will (and already have) made some difficult decisions and it will certainly take our all. It's not quite on the same scale as the mission that Jesus faced (!), but it feels thrilling and costly nonetheless.

My wife and I have been reading through the book of Philippians recently. In chapter one, the author, Paul, says: 'I thank my God every time I remember you; in all my prayers for all of you I always pray with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.'

More will sign up, we're sure of that. But last night it was such a privilege to break bread with 6 partnering pioneers.