Monday 1 November 2010

26.08.1918 - 19.10.2010



As read out by my Dad, on my behalf:

A few months back I told a white lie to my Gran. I telephoned to say that I was writing an assignment for a church project. In actual fact, I just wanted to chat to her about Christianity, because I was intrigued to know exactly what she believed in. By the time our conversation had finished, I put the phone down with tears in my eyes.

She had quite enthusiastically described to me how she couldn’t get through a day without speaking to Jesus; asking Him for wisdom, guidance and rest; she explained that she wouldn’t be able to function without Him in her life! This was pretty much the greatest possible response I could have prayed for and I was (and still am!) so grateful that her life had been impacted by this truth.

It changes absolutely everything.

I know with full assurance that this kind of faith has granted her eternal life – FOREVER! – in Heaven with Jesus. Her maker, redeemer and friend.

She also remarked on the fact that she didn’t quite know what to expect from Heaven. She knew it awaited her, but couldn’t imagine what it might look like. I don’t think any of us can to be honest. Something so perfect and peaceful yet so celebratory and captivating all at the same time. It boggles the mind. Well, not for Granny any longer. She stands in that place, face to face with her Jesus once and for all. Even if we could get her back, she wouldn’t want to come, I am sure of that.

I am more thankful for the salvation she and my Grandpa found than I could ever possibly describe. So I won’t try.

I’ll just wait to see them when I get there.

Let me finish with this Bible verse from 2 Corinthians. It has been a huge source of comfort these last few days:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (NIV)