Tuesday 14 December 2010

I've been learning a lot about leadership recently. Particularly, when to take it up and when to know when to put it down. Both require serious wisdom. A couple of years ago, my old man started co-leading a cluster of groups at church that met for monthly meetings. Back then, it was a wise move to ask him to lead it. He was the man for that job.

Well, tonight he lead his last of these groups as they make way for a new set of events later in the new year (lead by some new people). There's a lot of positive things I could say about the way he has helped lead his group (his faith, diligence and candour to name but a few areas).

Some people might negatively view this step down from position. I've yet to hear him grumble.

Can you name one thing makes a good leader? I can. It's the person who remains in the room at the end of their meeting, stacking the chairs loyally and making the most of whatever responsibility has been handed to them.

I hope one day my 26 year-old son might see me stacking the chairs faithfully as well.