Friday 10 December 2010

Poem #8 – 11.01.07 – the day before returning to University

The boy is becoming a man. The fool is slowly gaining wisdom. The perpetual sinner is fast realising that the slate is clean. He doesn’t need to be trapped by it any longer. He has a calling now. He has a cause to fight for. He is championing something magnificent; something resplendent; something that goes beyond the grave. Something everlasting. It’s taken him a while to get to where he’s at now, but he cannot take his eyes off it now. It consumes him. It causes visions, dreams and an inferno in the pit of his stomach. He might waver in his commitment; he might stumble along the way. He may fail to grasp opportunities. But this supernatural thing will remain steadfast through it all. He knows that perfection is not required of him. He knows he will never have that label no matter how hard he tries. But this, this beautiful, all-consuming, awe-inspiring thing, will forever be spotless and spectacular.

This chorus of emotion and fire within quietens down, and he focuses on the pint of lager sitting in front of him. His friends will be joining him soon. He has much good news to share with them. This could be the night that a fire is lit inside their souls too. It might not; who knows? He’s willing to give it a shot nonetheless. Pulling out the trusty old notebook, he pens a quick few lines before the horde descend and his train of thought is thrown askew.

Trying to tread carefully in the footsteps of my Saviour,
This narrow path is one I must savour.
The King is alive, creation declares it.
So why must I fall for the slippery slopes of Evil’s pit?
With so much goodness in the world, all around me,
I just wish it would be done for my King nailed to a tree.
The tears of the wise must surely be an indication,
But instead it’s only greeted with dismissal and indignation.
If only they knew how fragile the paving,
Of this narrow road that leads to their saving.
I know it’s down to me to be the good example,
But upon all my good words, the Evil seems to trample.
A flicker of light, just a vague understanding,
Is all you need to see your Kingdom expanding.
So why do I struggle to be a good witness?
Is it ‘cos I live for this world to too much excess?
It’s a new year, new me, new ‘me and you’!
It’s patently clear what you’re calling me to do.
Read your word and pray for those who don’t know your love…

…And remember I’m secured by those ancient promises from above.



Pen down. Notebook tucked away. A mouthful or two of drink. Then the first friend walks through the doors. What conversations will ensue? Could this be the night that ground is taken from the enemy? Will a mark be left or a seed planted? This could be the greatest day of their lives. He has the words to share and the passion to drive them. Only time will tell….