Wednesday 6 April 2011

I enjoyed a frank discussion about reading the Bible last night. I haven't got long so I won't go into the details. But needless to say, if you don't read your Bible apart from opening it for 2 minutes on a Sunday morning at church, then something needs to change. Also, if like me, you read it most days but take none of it in, then that's pretty stupid too. I won't go on about the first group, because that's plain and simple - read it more!

But for the second group (me!), you need to rethink things too. I read it for like 15 minutes most days, which might sound decent to most people. But I think I'm only actually taking it in for about two of those minutes. If I was handling a workload with that kind of efficiency I'd have been sacked ages ago!

One of my friends said that she reads small chunks..maybe a few verses or a chapter a day, and really waits on God over the passage. I think sometimes I'm tempted to see reading as much of it as I can as a challenge...like I'll get some brownie points for doing it..!?! (idiot). But this idea of hers makes way more sense. It allows God to work through the passage and allows the reader the time to really weigh it and pray into it.

It's not a competition; it's a wisdom-filled, life-guiding, spirit-inspired companion to everyday living. Read it and weep. Or maybe read it and smile. Either way, don't let it collect dust or allow it to become too taxing.