Wednesday 21 September 2011

The second part...

'The prayer of the righteous man is POWERFUL and effective' (James 5 v16b)

There is such power in the name of Jesus. I have friends who have told me in the past that they pray. They aren't churchgoers and they have hardly ever turned the pages of a Bible; yet they assure me they pray to something. To who/what exactly, I'd ask? God! They reply (as though my question was ridiculous).

I'm not certain if they hear much back. They didn't seem to back then, and I don't think much has changed since then. From what I could ascertain, it was more of a superstitious ritual than a dependence on a relationship with their Maker.

But I know full well that if faith is placed in the name of Jesus and prayers are lifted to Him, there is power. I've seen it first hand: lives restored, sick people made well, depression lifted, addictions crushed in moments. These are are the kind of signs which encourage my prayer life and leave them flabbergasted when I attempt to explain.

There are probably parts of the Bible that I still struggle to fully get my head around, if I'm being honest. But I believe the parts where power (strength to overcome, ability to heal the sick, revelation of truth etc) has been added to individuals who seek Kingdom truth in the name of Jesus. And it's the same power that can be experienced today.

Such might. Such potential. Such Love.