Wednesday 14 March 2012

'So let’s do it - full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.' (Hebrew 10)

I've found these verses in Hebrews kinda helpful in the last few days. Faith is a fight, and sometimes having faith comes very naturally to me and other times wading through treacle would be easier. 

It's reassuring and incredibly important to find scripture that reminds us of God's unwavering faithfullness to us - it's a medicine that's hard to swallow sometimes but it's total truth nonetheless. So when the author of Hebrews writes: He always keeps to his word; we can be confident that even if we're in 'treacle' moments, He is always going to do what He first promised. Always. Regardless of how long the timescale seems to be and despite the thick fog which clouds our view of the situation (no matter what it might be). 

So I've found in the last couple of weeks that keeping focussed on that big day is tough but very important - digging my heels in deeper to that foundation, serving when I can't be bothered to, holding both hands firmly around scripture and praying when all I would rather do is sleep. I don't think it's some kind of religious ticklist way of thinking - it's keeping my unblinking eyes set on a prize, even when my eyes are stinging like mad. 

Have confidence that the one who said He'll do it, WILL do it - He's totally dependable. (1 Thessalonians 5 v24)