Friday 14 September 2012

A hundred years from now

It must have been a bit strange for my folks. This afternoon we showed them the bedroom that we have recently finished decorating for their soon-to-be-arriving grandchild. Twenty-four hours prior to this they were scattering the ashes of my grandparent's in the same churchyard that my great-great-grandparents were buried in nearly a hundred years ago.

Talk about life flashing before your eyes!

As I was considering this, I was reminded of the lyrics 'Age to age He stands/ And time is in His hands/ Beginning and the end.'

One reason this came to mind was because on the gravestone of my ancestors there were some words that I find very significant. I don't know much (if anything) about these people, but their gravestone reads: 'The Lord is my strength, in whom I will trust.'

Now, this could either be a phrase that was common to most gravestones back then. Or it could mean that these people believed in God and did actually put their hope in His unfailing love during the time that they were alive.

I'd like to hope that some of the generations that walked before me in my family will be in Heaven, but with very little knowledge to go by, I've never really known much about them. So it's fair to say I'm pretty chuffed about this little discovery!

I sometimes wonder whether future generations of my family will stumble across this blog when I'm long gone. I hope it gives a good account of what I believe in (and HOPEFULLY encourages them to explore the claims and miracles of Jesus for themselves!!), but to be honest, the words on that gravestone will do just fine as well.

All strength, energy, joy, passion, creativity, laughter and desire is from the Lord and He really is the only one to put trust in - a century later that truth would still appear to be evident.

There's a new generation fast approaching our household who I plan to spend the rest of my life trying to explain these truths to as well.