Wednesday 5 September 2012

How could life ever be boring?

I find this quite an exciting question to ask myself from time to time - it's worth investigating yourself, if you have a moment.

A couple of days back, my lead pastor shared some updates about some forthcoming developments within the life of our church. New buildings, new projects, new leaders, new parts of the city reached, new challenge.

A few days before that, the midwife informed my wife that our baby is ready to come out whenever it wants now. There's a V.I.P who God has been creating over the last eight and a half months, and He's about to introduce us to him/her. A new life, new responsibility, new job title, a new form of joy, a new challenge.

These two areas of my life are filling much of my thinking time at the moment and whether I like it or not, they are going to force me well and truly out of my comfort zone over the coming weeks and months.

For sometime now, I have been praying for an adventure. Previously that would probably have involved travelling to a far-flung destination with a backpack and a very vague itinerary. The 'adventure' continues, but a lot closer to home at the moment. Reading through parenting pamphlets and documents detailing new church vision, I can only thank God for what He's doing in my life.

Whether it's being part of a church that is soon to be multi-venue, or being part of a family that is soon to grow by 50%, it's all incredibly exciting!!! His grace over these two situations is totally and utterly incomprehensible.

Whatever your circumstances, the plans and purposes that God has earmarked for your life are staggering. He didn't intend for you to simply fall in line and trudge through your 9-5; flutter from fleeting experience to fleeting experience; pursue empty relationships or consume as much 'stuff' as you possibly can manage.

There's a very well known verse in the Bible which I always take great encouragement and direction from:
'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' (Jeremiah 29 verse 11)

Sometimes the big challenges/milestones come along in life. Other times there's continued routine, consistency and focus required. Either way, acknowledge that there is a God who is forever looking to grow and develop your character through the circumstances, challenges and people around you.

Remembering this, how could life ever be boring!?!