Wednesday 9 November 2011

What is hope to you?

To me, hope is…

Someone caring for me so much that He should sweat drops of blood.
The real explanation for why popularity, wealth, success and pleasures are fleeting.
Something that wakes me every morning and gives me rest every night.
Blood-stained planks of wood.
What explains ancient yet oft-ignored scriptures to me, even when I think the situations are new or previously unexplored.
A battered Messiah looking His followers in the eyes and assuring them that He will see them again.
Alcoholism or any other addiction overcome.
A teenage girl carrying the Son of Man, despite becoming a social pariah and the ridicule of the region.
What’s more, it’s the carpenter who stands beside his wife, despite the disapproval and threats from all around.

It’s a giant boulder, that has miraculously been rolled away, regardless of the professional guards that stood watch.
And it’s the emptiness of that tomb as well.
Hope is a couple conceiving after 13 years of trying.
It’s what unites two believers, even though they share no other similarities or paths in life.
It’s finances provided throughout unemployment.

Hope goes on and on. And so could I. Have a think about what hope looks like to you; and if you struggle for a definition, ask the One who thought up the concept of it in the first place.